Saturday, January 5, 2013

Stay in Saturday

Today we worked on cleaning and organizing the house.  My boyfriend is getting a long awaited espresso machine next weekend and in order to get in the kitchen, we had to do a lot of rearranging.  There is an old shelf in the basement, it looks almost homemade but also is very sturdy.  We are going to use that for the machine.  It is still in the basement now and I'm making dinner and with one whole wall of the kitchen empty it seems a little strange.  

We were going to have left over soup then catch a movie at six but instead, we are going later tonight.  I was really into reading The Walking Dead then decided to make a salad but boiling eggs led to making a lentil dish with chicken sausage on the side.  The dish is very loosely based of this recipe from Real Simple.  I am not really a big fan of their recipes but I needed an idea for a quick red lentil recipe.  I cook red lentils a lot but usually they take an hour or so.   

One of the best things I've learned from a cookbook is how to cook onions for an Indian dish.  Classic Indian Cooking by Julie Sahni is a great Indian cookbook.  I like that is uses Indian names for dishes instead of saying 'red lentils' or 'chickpeas'.  For a lot of the meat dishes, onions are cooked for almost a half hour on low heat.  The flavor is so much deeper then just quickly sautéing.  Another hint I learned from that book is after adding spices, the time to add liquid is after the oil starts seeping back out of the spice mixture.  So, we are having a curried red lentil dish with carrots, ginger, and garlic.  I added in a little bullion because we don't have broth and tomato paste.  

The onions are almost done.  I blogged over the summer when I made a recipe from this cookbook, must be waiting for the onions to cook makes me want to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment